10 Dyslexia Awareness Week Facts
You may already know, but this week is National Dyslexia Week, from 4 - 10 October 2021, which is an annual event that helps raise awareness of dyslexia by offering information, understanding, and resources.
Here at RHINO Stationery, we're sharing 10 facts about dyslexia that you can share with your students to help gain a better understanding of dyslexia!
1. People with dyslexia often have fantastic skills in other areas, such as creative thinking and problem-solving.
2. Dyslexia is estimated to affect up to 10% of the UK population, therefore understanding it can be very helpful to your students.
3. The Dyslexic brain has been found to be typically larger than non-dyslexic brains!
4. 50% of people with dyslexia are left-handed, whereas only 11% of the UK population are left-handed.
5. This year the focus is on Invisible Dyslexia, highlighting the effect dyslexia might have on mental health.
6. Dyslexia can be attained later on in life, due to a brain injury, disease, or trauma,
7. Many famous faces are dyslexic such as Richard Branson, Jennifer Aniston, Orlando Bloom, and Holly Willoughby, who believe that their dyslexia is not a hindrance but a benefit as it enables their uniqueness in thinking and creative ability!
8. Historial figures and famous artists were also known to be dyslexic such as Albert Einstein, Pablo Picasso, and Leonardo da Vinci
9. Dyslexia can affect the individual in many different ways such as having difficulty with reading and writing, struggling with directions, or understanding verbal instructions.
10. The British Dyslexia Association has many wonderful free courses and resources to help support dyslexia!
Now that we're a month into starting school, having got to know our new students, dyslexia awareness week is a great time to reflect on whether we have all our SEN tinted papers to hand.